By using this web site you agree to the use of cookies. It is required for proper performance of the site. To find out more, please click here

UK Spouse Visa

If your partner is a British citizen or has settled in the UK, i.e. they have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), and you want to come and live with them in the UK, you must apply for UK spouse visa. You are allowed to work, study and reside in the UK on this visa for the period of 2.5 years when you apply inside the UK and 2 years and 9 months when you apply outside the UK. After this you’ll need to apply to extend your stay. After you extend your visa and after 5 years of continuous residence in the UK, you can apply for settlement.

Spouse visa requirements

Immigration laws are quite strict in the UK, so in order to be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

  • you and your spouse/partner must be 18 or over;
  • your partner must be a British citizen or settled in the UK;
  • marriage must be legitimate and recognised in the UK;
  • you must prove you have been in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply (utility bills, photos, bookings and tickets in your names, etc.)
  • you must prove you intend to stay in the UK and live there with your spouse in the future;
  • your partner must meet the minimum income requirement;
  • you must prove your knowledge of English and that you can support yourself;
  • you must provide a tuberculosis test certificate.

Imperial & Legal services

We have extensive expertise in applying for any kind of visa, including spouse visas. We help to prepare the required documents, fill in application forms in English and submit them to relevant authorities. Our experts provide advice on any matter related to moving or travelling to the UK.

Ask a question

One of our qualified advisors will get back to you today or next business day.