Malta individual investor programme
Malta’s Individual Investor Programme (MIIP) was the first citizenship by investment programme of its kind to be recognised and acknowledged by the European Commission as a legal investment programme. It was set up in 2014 by Legal Notice 47 establishing Individual Investor Programme of the Republic of Malta Regulations, 2014 within the framework of the Maltese Citizenship Act.
Maltese citizenship is highly respected and provides a lot of benefits, such as visa-free travel, mild climate, hospitable people, high living standards, safe and stable political and economic environment and much more.
Benefits of Maltese citizenship by investment programme
- Passport after minimum 12 months.
- Residence card in 1-3 weeks for visa-free travel to Schengen states.
- Benefits of EU citizenship – unlimited right to live, study and work in any of the EU member states and Switzerland.
- Visa-free travel to over 168 countries within the EU, UK, Japan, Canada and the US.
- Investment recoverable partly after 5 years.
- Maltese citizenship for a spouse and dependants between 18 and 26 years of age, and over the age of 55 years, who are wholly supported by the main applicant.
- Malta recognises dual citizenship.
- Citizenship passed down to future generations by descent.
- Health and personal security — favourable climate and safe English-speaking environment.
- Minimum taxes (no double taxation, possible to change tax residency, zero tax on foreign income and no inheritance tax).
- No language or country test requirement.
- Stable economy and low crime rate.
Maltese citizenship is offered to affluent foreign nationals of reputable standing and their dependents in exchange for investments. The application process is straight-forward; however,apart from mere contributions to the state economy, the government requires that investors undergo thorough due diligence checks. It is done to attract only reputable individuals that can also contribute their talent, expertise and business connections. All in all, it must have a positive impact on the economy and overall image of the country.
Investment consists of three parts: government contribution, purchase/lease of a property and purchase of approved financial instruments. There are other fees and charges involved.
70% of the contribution paid to the government is transferred to the National Development and Social Fund, and the funds received are used in the public interest, e.g for the advancement of education, research, innovation, social purposes, justice and the rule of law, employment initiatives, the environment and public health.
For more details, eligibility requirements and procedure for obtaining a Maltese passport, please read Citizenship.
For more information on Maltese residency that precedes naturalisation (legal requirement of 12-month residency), please see Residence.
Imperial & Legal is a partner you can trust. We are here to make sure you get Maltese citizenship within the shortest time and at a minimum cost. We guarantee quality, reliability, professionalism and complete confidentiality.
All applications and documents must be submitted to Identity Malta either through Approved Agents or the concessionaire. And it is at the discretion of the Government to grant, delay or deny citizenship.
We have a team working in London and Malta, and we can guarantee that all your documents are duly prepared, all forms are filled in correctly and submitted in due time. Besides, we ensure constant communication with Identity Malta which guarantees that the whole process of application and granting of Malta citizenship runs without delays and hassle-free.
When preparing your application, we make sure that every required document is obtained, translated, notarised and legalised. We know all the pitfalls and potential problems we might have when working on your case, and this helps to minimise costs and time spent.
We handle all the documents and paperwork with confidentiality and care, so our clients can rely on and trust us with their personal matters.