Malta citizenship by investment
High-net-worth foreign nationals and their dependents can obtain Maltese citizenship by naturalisation through the Malta’s Individual Investor Programme (MIIP) by contributing into the country’s development and growth. It is one few European countries that offer to obtain full EU passport through citizenship by investment programme.
Investment requirements to obtain Maltese passport
The following investments shall be required as a minimum to qualify for Malta citizenship under the programme:
To qualify for naturalisation in Malta, the Government requires the main applicant and their dependants to make the following contributions:
|Each dependant under 18||+€25,000|
|Each unmarried dependant between the ages of 18 and 26||+€50,000|
|Each dependant parent over 55||+€50,000|
A deposit of €10,000 is paid at the time of submission of the application and is non-refundable. The balance paid after the approval in principle is also non-refundable.
Real estate investment
Applicants may qualify for citizenship through investment in an immovable residential property in Malta. The main applicant must:
- acquire a property with a minimum value of €350,000
- take on lease a property with a minimum annual rent of €16,000.
Such property may not be let or sublet but must be retained by the applicant for at least 5 years from the date of acquisition or lease. At the same time, the applicant is entitled by the Government to dispose of the property or terminate the leasehold earlier provided that they have purchased or taken on lease another residential property that satisfies all the requirements of the programme.
Investment in securities
Applicants may qualify for a Maltese passport by making another investment of €150,000 in stocks, bonds, debentures, special purpose vehicles or other investment vehicles as may be identified from time to time by Identity Malta by means of a notice in the Gazette. Such investments must be retained for no less than 5 years.
Other fees and charges
Due diligence fees:
|Each dependant between the ages of 13 and 18||+€3,000|
|Each unmarried dependant between the ages of 18 and 26||+€5,000|
|Each dependant parent over 55||+€5,000|
€500 per person
€200 per application
Eligibility requirements to obtain Malta citizenship
- At least 18 years of age
- Minimum investments of €1.15M.
- All investments must be retained for at least 5 years.
- Proof of availability of funds.
- Affidavit of support for every dependant over 18, except for a spouse.
- Proof of 1-year residency in Malta.
- Regular visits to Malta to get acquainted with its culture and lifestyle.
- All applicants over 13 must pass due diligence checks.
- All applicants must be in good health.
- Clean criminal record. No criminal convictions or breaches of immigration law.
- Global health insurance must be provided and maintained indefinitely for all applicants after approval in principle.
Unmarried children of 18 to 26 years of age who are wholly maintained by the main applicant
Parents or grandparents above the age of 55 who are wholly maintained or supported by the main applicant and form part of the household of the main applicant.
What you need to do to Obtain Maltese passport
After you decide to participate in the Malta’s Individual Investor Programme (MIIP), we sit down with you to talk about your situation. We then firstly prepare the initial documents and apply for a residence permit for one year. The initial documents include global health insurance policy and proof of renting of a property on island. Once it is granted, you go to Malta to collect your residence permit. After that we shall proceed as follows:
- We fill in the all necessary forms, gather and prepare paperwork and documents.
- We submit the application for citizenship to Identity Malta while you make a non-refundable deposit of €10,000 (deducted from contribution amount) and payment for due diligence.
- Due diligence checks by third parties and initial processing of application by Identity Malta.
- Further verification and background checks by Identity Malta.
3. After approval of the application in principle
- You make a contribution (less €10,000 deposit) and provide a confirmation of the transfer of funds (within 20 days of approval).
- You provide a contract of purchase or lease of a residential property.
- You make required investment in financial instruments.
- You are issued a certificate of naturalisation after 1-year residence requirement is met.
- Applicants over 18 take the Oath of Allegiance.
- We apply for a passport.
- Passport is issued.