By using this web site you agree to the use of cookies. It is required for proper performance of the site. To find out more, please click here

Higher Education in the UK

England is a country of cricket, English language and some top-rated universities which attract international students from over the world. Universities and colleges offer a wide choice of qualifications in many areas of study. So it can be quite a challenging task to choose where and how to study, and which subject to study. You either have to know exactly what you want or be very knowledgeable in the workings of the HE system

Our education experts at Imperial & Legal have years of experience in the British HE system and are always here to help you in your choice of a HE institution that would meet your needs and goals. We offer any service that could bring you closer to becoming a student in a HE college or university. Leave the application process and preparation of documents to our consultants, and we’ll make it smooth and hassle-free.

Where to study in the UK

HE providers in England include colleges and universities that offer full-degree or foundation courses. In total there are more than 395 universities and colleges that provide studies in diverse subject areas for bachelor, master or doctor degrees.

Some unis in England are licensed to offer full-degree courses both to resident and international students. Some HE providers are only licensed to offer foundation year and degree courses, to prepare students for full-degree studies and future employment. Work placements are provided to develop necessary skills. The duration of courses varies.

Undergraduate studies

UK universities or colleges offer school leavers a range of undergraduate degrees. Compulsory and optional modules together add up to a full degree.

Here are some types of undergraduate courses.

  • Bachelor’s degree;
  • Foundation year (year zero of the undergraduate program to prepare students for degree level study);
  • Higher National Certificate (a one-year work-related course, equivalent to the first year of a bachelor’s degree);
  • Higher National Diploma (HND, a 2-year work-related course, equivalent to the first 2 years of a bachelor’s degree);
  • Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE, one year of a full degree);
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE, 2 years of a full degree).

Postgraduate studies

UK universities offer master and doctor degrees in many subject areas. Students to choose to study postgraduate to increase and deepen their knowledge or gain new skills.

There are two types of master’s degree, learning by teaching and by research. Full-time courses are normally one year, or two years part-time, although some master’s degrees can be longer.

A master’s by research is good preparation for a PhD, which is the highest degree. Full-time courses usually last three years. A part-time PhD lasts six years.

Additionally, HE providers offer professional courses as well as postgraduate certificates and diplomas. They aim at professional development or studying a new subject, overall to be properly qualified for what you intend to do.

Applying to study in the UK

You can apply to study in the UK through UCAS undergraduate and UKPASS postgraduate services. If the university of your choice is not a part of the UKPASS scheme, and there are many of them, you will need to contact them directly because they prefer to do it this way. It especially applies to postgraduate courses by research.

There is normally a high competition, so it’s advisable to check the entry requirements for the institution of your choice and start preparations earlier.

Eligibility requirements and documents are normally as follows:

  • IELTS or TOEFL English Language Certificate;
  • Diplomas and Transcripts of previous academic achievements:
  • For undergraduate courses – High School Transcript. If not in English, translated and certified by a notary;
  • For postgraduate courses – International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or a bachelor’s degree qualification translated into English and certified by a notary;
  • 2-3 references from school, college or university;
  • Personal statement where you need to write whatever you’d like to say about yourself and your motivation to study your course;
  • Copies of ID documents.

Personal statement is one of the key pieces that build an overall picture of you. It will play an important part if your application is shortlisted. It must be informative, clear and straight to the point. For many courses you will also need to take an admission test and attend an interview.

Study un England with Imperial & Legal

We made higher education in the UK more accessible for everyone irrespective of age, gender and finances. We offer our services to Russian and CIS nationals that want to study in Britain. Our education experts have been helping people to choose a HE provider and a subject based on their needs and preferences, prepare all the required documents and submit their applications.

Application process follows the requirements of the HE provider you are applying to and UK legislation, meaning you will not have any problems. We provide immigration support, help you with accommodation and ensure everything goes well. Get in touch with one of our advisers by phone or via website form to receive a detailed consultation.

Ask a question

One of our qualified advisors will get back to you today or next business day.